Fell Brake Van 624

The Fell Brake Van No 624 was built in 1943 by NZ Railways Addington Workshops, it was constructed to act as a braking Van for Rewanui and Roa on the West Coast of New Zealand, It was fitted with a Fell Centre Rail Brake to assist with braking of Coal Trains on the Steep Grades.

After being written off in Greymouth in 1967, it was restored by the Canterbury Branch of the NZ Railway & Locomotive Society (which was the precursor to todays Canterbury Railway Society) and used on the first public train on the Ferrymead Railway that same year.

It is currently on Display in the Hall of Wheels at Ferrymead Heritage Park.